Best over the counter asthma inhaler
Health experts prescribe this medicine for people with Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder - COPD. Due to these two health conditions, respiration or breathing normally becomes tough. It is due to narrow airways caused by inflammation. With the use of the right inhaler, inflammation can be reduced. Even the wheezing and cough can be under control. Your doctor will prescribe the right inhaler for asthma and COPD. You can also pick from over-the-counter asthma inhalers like Asthalin and Duolin Inhalers.
The counter Asthma Inhalers
Most of the time you prefer inhalers that are prescribed by the doctor. But if you have just mild symptoms of asthma or COPD, you can go for over-the-counter inhalers. There are several benefits to choosing over-the-counter inhalers. One of them is cost. The cost of the inhaler is one of the factors. Over-the-counter medicine is much cheaper than Rx or prescription drugs. So, while buying an Asthalin inhaler, compare its price with other prescription inhalers to know the difference.
How to pick over-the-counter inhalers
Following a few steps can be very helpful for picking the right asthma inhaler. When you make the right choice, you will be able to enjoy the benefits.
- The price of the inhaler is one of the important factors to consider. You need to pick one that suits or fits your budget. There will be options in all budgets making it feasible for you to choose one.
- The purpose for which you are buying is also important. There will be quick relief inhalers and preventive inhalers. So, what purpose of the inhaler should be considered while buying Duolin inhalers.
- Clear information about the product is another factor. Some over-the-counter inhalers do have complete information about the drug like the usage instructions and the product information. So, pick a product that comes with all the important information on it.
Some best over the counter asthma inhalers:
As discussed, several options are available for over-the-counter inhalers. Let us look at the best options here:
- Asthalin (salbutamol) Inhaler belongs to the fasting-acting Bronchodilators class of medication.
- This is a quick reliever inhaler that helps during an asthma attack.
- It contains Salbutamol in it and is the chief ingredient.
- The muscles in the airways relax when the medicine passes through the lungs. That widens the airways making it easy for you to breathe.
- Asthalin Inhaler is a safe inhaler but has to be used only as per the instructions on the medicine leaflet.
- Duolin Inhaler is the preventer inhaler. It helps to control the symptoms of asthma from appearing frequently.
- You will need a quick reliever for sudden shortness of breath.
- The medicine used in this inhaler is a combination of Levosalbutamol and Ipratropium. They also do a similar job of widening the airways.
- It has to be used daily and at a fixed time for better results.
Safety and Warnings:
It is considered safe to discuss with your health expert before using any drug. Especially when you are treating a sensitive condition like Asthma or COPD, you need to be more alert. Prescription drugs are generally prescribed by the doctor and hence they are safe. But if you opt for over-the-counter inhalers, make sure to follow certain safety precautions and warnings.
- You need to discuss with your healthcare expert the use of over-the-counter inhalers for safety.
- If you are already using a prescription inhaler, it is safe to continue its usage without making any changes.
- Over-the-counter inhalers can cause drug interactions. So, if you are currently using any drug, then always talk to the doctor in advance. The interactions can affect your neurotransmitters.
- After the first few uses, if you encounter any abnormal symptoms, you must stop using the new inhaler.
- All the instructions on over-the-counter medicine have to be read carefully. You cannot use them as per your choice. Take the advice of your doctor before you start using.
Can over-the-counter asthma inhalers cause side effects?
Compared to prescription inhalers, over-the-counter inhalers have potential symptoms or side effects. The most common ones reported by most people are:
- Elevated blood pressure
- Increased heart rate
- Loss of appetite
- Sore throat
- Shakiness of feet and hands
- Trouble falling asleep
If you observe any of these side effects or a combination of them, stop taking the usage of inhaler immediately. In case, the symptoms are severe, you need to call for medical help. Asthalin inhaler is one of the safe over-the-counter asthma inhalers with very few side effects.
When to approach your health experts:
People with asthma and COPD have frequent appointments with their doctors. That helps them to monitor whether the condition is under control and whether the medicine is working well.
But there will be certain situations where the medicine may not show the desired results. You will have to reach out to your health expert for help. So, when should you seek help?
- When you are unable to see any good results of the Duolin inhaler or other over-the-counter drugs.
- If the symptoms of Asthma or COPD become worse after you start using the inhaler.
- If you are experiencing severe chest pain, visit your doctor.
- When you are experiencing asthma attacks too frequently (More than two times a week).
- If you are unable to speak due to a severe asthma attack.
- When the wheezing is too much and very severe
- If the symptoms of Asthma or COPD are affecting your daily life even after using the counter inhaler.
- Some people experience blue lips and you need to act immediately in such a situation.
- When you experience agitation
How to use an asthma inhaler?
Whether it is an over-the-counter inhaler or an inhaler that is prescribed by a health expert, you need to use it the right way. If you are using the inhaler for the first time, you may be confused a bit. So, here is the process of using it.
All the instructions will be given on the medicine by the manufacturer. You just have to follow them carefully. But the general instructions will remain the same and here is how to use an inhaler yourself.
- You should first shake the inhaler well and then it is ready to use.
- Open the cap of the inhaler and to be sure it is ready, just squirt one to two puffs in the air.
- You will have to sit in one place or stand straight.
- Your lungs should be clear before using the Duolin inhaler and hence take a few deep breaths.
- The mouthpiece of the inhaler should be placed between the lips and sealed.
- You should press the small button on the canister while you take a deep breath.
- Hold your breath and let the medicine stay in your lungs. That is how it works.
- Now breathe out away from the inhaler and do it very slowly.